The Principal, leadership team and teachers will decide how to use the PE and Sport Funding as they are best placed to assess what additional provision should be made for individual pupils.
‘Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this’. (DFE website)
Use for the funding will include:
- Engaging with local schools through the enhanced schools package, accessing a range of opportunities for pupils to participate in competitive sport, training for young leaders and training opportunities for subject leaders
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional extra-curricular clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sports competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- subsidising sports clubs to give all pupils access to a range of sporting opportunities
- paying for sporting enrichment days for pupils in KS2 each half term
Physical education is education through physical activity; its goal is the development of the individual as a whole, not just their physical development or their proficiency in specific sports.
Through a focus on ensuring physical education at Blackthorn Primary School we provide young people with access to physical activity for life as well as build the foundation for future participation and performance in sport.
At Blackthorn Primary School we use Real PE to support the delivery of high quality PE which will develop physical literacy and allow children to learn about themselves, the importance of a healthy lifestyle, self-expression and concepts such as fair play and respect. Real PE also contributes to the development of a range of important cognitive skills such as decision making and analysis, and social skills such as teamwork, communication and leadership.